Pepper Crusted Beef Carpaccio with Date Phyllo Ring, Frisée and Date Vinaigrette
- 4 sheet phyllo dough
- 2 oz melted butter
- 1 tbsp pink peppercorn flakes
- 1/4 cup California dates, finely diced
- 3/4 pound beef filet
- 1/4 cup course ground black pepper
- 1/8 cup pink peppercorn flakes
- 1/2 cup California dates, pitted
- 2 head frisée
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp date vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil (add 1 tbsp extra)
- 1/8 cup California date puree (add 1 tbsp extra)
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup California Deglet Noor dates, pitted
- boiling water to cover dates
- Combine peppers, roll filet in pepper mixture until entirely coated. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the tenderloin and sear for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the head and cool completely. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 8 hours.
- Brush one sheet with melted butter and sprinkle with pink peppercorn flakes. Place second phyllo sheet atop first; brush with butter; repeat the process sprinkle diced dates between layers two and three. Using a rolling pin, apply a little pressure to flatten diced dates. Finish by brushing layer three with butter, top with pink peppercorn flakes, then, final layer brushing with remaining butter. Cut length wise, into ½ inch wide strips and wrap around 3 inch round mold, moisten edges with butter and press to seal edge. Bake at 350⁰ until golden brown about 15 minutes.
- Place dates in a stainless container or glass bowl. Pour enough boiling water to cover dates by one inch. Cover with plastic wrap and soak until soft. Once the dates are softened, place mixture in a high speed blender and blend into a smooth puree.
- In a separate bowl, whisk sherry vinegar, olive oil, puree and honey together, season with salt and pepper.
- Julienne dates. Clean and pick frisée using only yellow center leaves. Toss frisée, with date vinaigrette.
- When ready to prepare plate, using mandoline slice beef very thin. Place phyllo ring in the center of the plate and fill with frisée mixture. In pinwheel fashion, layer the thinly sliced beef around the date ring. Drizzle date vinaigrette around the edge of the plate.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave A Comment