Caramelized Date and Apple Tart
- 16 California dates, pitted and chopped
- 4 Granny Smith, or other green baking apples
- 6 tbsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Corn Syrup
- 1 Ready Made Pie Crust
- Combine sugar, butter, lemon juice and corn syrup in a 10 inch oven proof skiller over medium-high heat. Cook 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly until golden caramel brown. Remove from heat. (Remember that the caramel will continue to darken even after it is removed from heat, so don't let it get too dark).
- Peel, core and quarter apples. Arrange quarters, rounded side down, around the edge of oven proof skillet. Fill in center with remaining apples. Place a date between each apple piece. Use extra dates to fill in empty spaces.
- Measure pie crust dough. Roll it out to 11 inches if it is not already that size. Arrange the pie crust dough over the apples, folding it slightly, if necessary, and pushing it down between the fruit and the side of the pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow cooling several minutes. Invert onto serving plate, slice and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave A Comment